Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Getting ready to go again!

Perfectionism is the enemy of productivity! That is my excuse for not having written anything for the past eight months. One of the blogs I read is so profound all the time that I use that as my standard. Well, today, I'm just going to try to bring everyone up to date.

In the middle of May, I received the long-awaited letter of invitation from the U of Kabul to teach music and assist with curriculum development. About that time, it became evident that I needed to find a proper funding agency so we have been busy developing that. Today I received notice of my acceptance by IMF as an associate member so I will be able to have my funds processed by their missions department. We will be establishing my budget soon, raising any more necessary funding, apply for a visa, buy a ticket and it's GO!

In the intervening months I have spent some time with faculty members at Bemidji State University exploring possibilities for collaboration with them at the U of Kabul School of Music, moved all my belongings into long-term storage, gotten the flow of Social Security and Canada Pension started, and studied Dari.

Before I go, I'm hoping to take a trip to California - can hardly believe it has been almost ten years since I left there, am setting up the basics of the Rynders Reunion for the summer of 2012, and maybe even get the process started of getting my dad's slides converted to digital.

Tonight is Obama's announcement about troop withdrawal in Afghanistan. Perhaps it's a bias on my part (hopefully partly because of the extensive reading I've done on the subject!) but I hope the US doesn't withdraw too precipitately. We have been Lucy with the football too often in Afghanistan's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment